The event is sponsored by the Arizona State Bar Elder Law Section and the Area Agency on Aging. It will be held at the Area Agency on Aging's new building, AGE Connect on 7th.
All attorneys are welcome to participate. If you know of an attorney or notary who might be interested in helping, please forward this information to him or her!
This event is the most fun you can have volunteering as an attorney. The attorneys dress as their favorite G-rated character to assist the community in preparing their Health Care Power of Attorney and Living Will, using the Arizona Attorney General forms. The participants must RSVP for their appointment.
Once they are ready to meet with the attorney, the participant is told they will be meeting with, for example, Snow White or Harry Potter and directed to your table, which has a picture of your costume character. The costumes make this difficult subject easier for everyone. You will assist the participants in filling out the documents and answering their questions.
Training: There will be a video training to view prior to the event.
Forms: You can view the forms here: Arizona Attorney General Life Care Planning Forms
Light breakfast, coffee, water, soda, snacks and lunch are provided. The Area Agency on Aging provides good food.
No elder law or estate planning experience needed, all are encouraged and welcome.
Most common questions about the event:
- Do I need to know anything about Healthcare Powers of Attorney, Living Wills, estate planning or elder law? Nope. There will be a training provided ahead of time for the attorneys, you will have the Attorney General’s forms to review beforehand, there will be experienced elder law attorneys available to answer questions AND the participants receive a training before meeting with the attorney, so they are ready to meet with you.
- Will the participants fill out a Financial Power of Attorney or a Last Will and Testament? No. Only the Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney and the Living Will. We will not be using the Mental Health Power of Attorney or the Do Not Resuscitate forms.
- Are there costume restrictions? Yes. There are parental controls on the costumes: nothing sexy, political, religious, scary, no masks, no blood, no weapons - and just like your outfit for school, it requires prior approval. For example, Miss Frizzle Yes and Freddy Krueger No.
- Will you provide costume suggestions? Yes. And it doesn’t have to be complicated, just fun, to put the participant at ease.
- Do I have to wear a costume? Of course, you wet blanket.
- Will I incur any conflicts as a result of meeting with people? No. Participants are required to sign a Conflict of Waiver form as they are with other State Bar events.
- Can my staff attend to notarize the documents? Yes, please. We need notaries.
- Do you need Spanish speaking attorneys? Yes. This probably our greatest need.
TO REGISTER, EMAIL JENNIFER KUPISZEWSKI. SHE IS IN CHARGE OF REGISTRATIONS FOR VOLUNTEERS.